When biggest sis was away last week, as a little ‘cheer up’ for the particularly sad second sister left at home, there was a promise of Chocolate Chip Cookies and, as the first day or two spiralled out of control and time seemed to slip away, we ended up waiting until the day of the big ‘return’ and they suddenly transformed into Celebration Cookies!
Before I unleash the recipe we used, three wee ‘things we learned in the process’ points: first, the recipe states 200g of choc chips. I’d say I probably used about half of that and found it absolutely perfect but, next time we use this wee recipe, I reckon we may experiment with other additions – Smarties perhaps… yum! Secondly, I expected the little balls to become very flat ‘supermarket style’ cookies while they were in the oven. They definitely did flatten out, but when I took them out of the oven, they were a little thicker than I expected. That said, they were still totally delicious and had that gorgeous slightly chewy texture… perfect with a cup of tea, coffee or even milk, whatever your preferred tipple ;o) Third and final – more a confession than a learning curve – I considered following the hand mix method, but opted to combine it all in the electric mixer! A cheat I may be, but I daresay my arms would’ve thanked me for it!
So, here goes… hope you enjoy them too!!
170g Soft Brown Sugar
280g Self-Raising Flour
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
200g Chocolate Chips
A Pinch of Salt
- Preheat oven to 180 / 160 fan and line 3 trays with baking parchment ( I was out of parchment when I went to make them so risked going on without and, with a gently handled fish slice, they were easily removed!)
- Mix the butter and sugar in a bowl until creamy.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat into the mixture.
- Sift in the flour and fold in.
- Add the chocolate chips (or any other treats of your choice) and mix well.
- Scoop out (spoon or ice cream scoop comes in handy here) and put little balls of the mixture onto the baking trays.
- Bake for 12 – 15 minutes until the cookies look golden brown.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool.
Then, simply eat and enjoy … my guinea pigs inform me they’re a welcome addition to the lunch box too!